10 Common Poisonous Plants & Flowers

blue hydrangeas

There are so many benefits of artificial flowers and plants, a huge one being that they don’t contain any toxins or cause any allergies. When it comes to real plants there are certain ones you should avoid if you have pets or young children, but often people don’t actually know which varieties are poisonous.

The plants on this list are all extremely common both in the house and in the garden, and all contain toxins that in some cases can be fatal. They’re all extremely popular, but we often find many people aren’t aware of the dangers.

1. Lilies

Lilies are without a doubt one of our favourite flowers, but they can be deadly. Although we know their pollen cause problems in terms of staining, it’s thought that the whole of the lily flower is poisonous and if any part of the flower is ingested it can cause permanent kidney damage. This is especially dangerous for cats who have been known to become sick soon after ingesting part of the flower and not being able to recover. The symptoms are less severe for humans and dogs but it can still lead to an extremely upset stomach.

If you love lilies but are worries about your pets, browse our artificial lilies, they are so life-like that no one will know they’re faux.

2. Dieffenbachia

More commonly known as ‘dumb cane’ this plant contains oxalate crystals which can be toxic for humans and pets. While symptoms may be mild if ingested it can lead to pain in the mouth, burning sensations, and swelling and numbing of the throat. Due to their size these plants are often placed in pots on the floor, making them especially dangerous for cats, dogs and toddlers, especially if they have a tendency to nibble things. 

poisonous house plants,

3. Rhododendrons

Rhododendrons are more of an outdoor plant, but their large flowers can look great in a vase indoors. The entire plant however is extremely toxic so if you have pets it’s best not to have them in the house or the garden. Ingesting a flower, stem, or leaf could lead to difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, paralysis, and even death.

4. Daffodils

Luckily you don’t have to worry about cut daffodils as it’s only the bulbs that are poisonous. If you have pets or small children it’s best to stick to cut daffodil stems, especially because you can usually pick up a bunch for a £1.

5. Wisteria

Wisteria isn’t really a problem for humans, but their seed pods can be toxic for dogs, cats and horses. With it being a climbing plant however its seed pods are usually out of reach for pets so it’s not as problematic as some of the other species on this list.

6. Snake Plant

Snake Plants, or Mother in Law’s Tongue, is another incredibly popular houseplant that can cause problems for humans and pets. If the plant is ingested it’s not fatal, but can cause sickness and other mild symptoms, so always wash your hands after touching it and avoid placing it on the floor so it’s out of the way of pets.

snake plants,

7. Foxgloves

Many people know that foxgloves are toxic, but due to their large stems and stunning colours they’re becoming increasingly popular in indoor flower displays. They might be beautiful but they could also be deadly, with them containing a compound that is used for treating heart failure.

8. Peace Lilies

Another popular houseplant known for their air purifying properties, but if ingested you’ll find they’re not so peaceful after all. They can cause mild symptoms if ingested by a human, but if you think your pet has ingested any it’s best to take them to a vet straight away, as it could lead to renal failure.

9. Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas contain a toxin that you’ve probably heard of; cyanide. While this chemical may have popped up a few times in Netflix murder series, you’d have to eat an awful lot of hydrangeas to actually become ill, so worry not you can still enjoy these beauties!

blue hydrangeas

10. Rhubarb

Lastly we have rhubarb, and although plant that you eat containing poisonous toxins seems like a strange one, it’s only the stems that you should consume, taking care to avoid the leaves. Eating too many of its leaves can shut down the kidneys, occasionally proving fatal.

Leave a Reply